The UK Minister says that Huawei will meet the criteria for entry into the 5G network
LONDON ( Reuters) – China's Huawei has specific requirements for Britain to continue to be included in the implementation of 5G mobile networks, said the UK Health Minister on Sunday, following a suggestion saying the firm will be banned from the programme.
Officials are bringing forward plans to avoid the deployment of Huawei Technology equipment in as early as six months, Sunday Telegraph announced, in a decision reversal earlier this year.
Asked about the report, Health Minister Matt Hancock refused to comment specifically on it, but said that the initial recommendation had always been conditional.
"I'm not going to comment on reports of this nature. What I can say is that when we released an interim report on this earlier this year, there are a number of conditions that need to be met, "he said.
"I 'm confident that the National Security Council would look at these circumstances and make the correct judgment and make sure that we all have a really good telecommunications network ... But it's also free.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who in January allowed Huawei to play a limited role in Britain's 5G network, was under extreme pressure from the United States and some British lawmakers to bar telecommunications equipment vendors on security grounds.
On Tuesday, he reinforced his rhetoric about Huawei, warning China to protect critical infrastructure from "hostile state vendors."
Ministers have listed U.S. restrictions as likely to have an effect on the competitiveness of Huawei as a 5G operator.
The Sunday Telegraph report stated that the National Cyber Security Center had changed its recommendations on Huawei, as sanctions would force the company to use untrusted technology.